Friday, December 23, 2011

Why,oh, why won't the carrots grow?

It’s been a while since I’ve updated, especially in regards to our gardening endeavors.  When last I reported, we’d planted rather large sections in the yarden with carrots and beets.  Then, I missed posting for the entire month of November.  Oops.  I did get out during November and plant some broccoli, Brussels sprouts, and collard green seedlings in one of the side beds. Between work and attempting to prepare our household for the addition of a baby brother, the yarden is in a mild state of disarray. We still have yet to pull up all the pepper plants. Pepper plants that are now more than a little withered from frost and lack of care- hung with shriveled pepper lanterns and scraggly leaves.  Both the rose and the butterfly bushes are in desperate need of trimming. The side yard along the drive needs to be mowed so that we can rediscover the blueberries, lavender, and prep areas for the transplanting of the gigantic lilies that currently reside next to the gate. There are copious amounts of leaves everywhere.  I’m not even going to mention the backyard at this point.
Needless to say, Mother Nature continues with or without us.  The seedlings have flourished. The beets are sprouting up all over the place. We have rather busy little pea plants both in the beds as well as in the old grill I converted into a planter. Even the little lettuces I planted in vain along the front edge of the carrots/beet bed have been successful. Yet, the carrots have not sprouted.  I know that the carrots we planted in the spring took FOREVER to sprout. I know that instead of the weather warming, it is cooling.  I know that we planted two whole packets of seeds. I know all of these things and am still frustrated. I’d like for some of the seeds to actually produce.  I have been told by many of the local farmer’s that carrots grown in cooler weather are sweeter, but I can only assume they are sweeter if you can actually get them to GROW. While I am on Winter break and, eventually, on maternity leave, I am hoping that they will sprout along with my gardening willpower.
Looking Ahead:
What to do with all those leaves- Solarizing the raised beds.

No comments:

Post a Comment