Monday, July 23, 2012

I like Big Bowls, and I cannot lie...

I'll excuse us both from have to deal with the usual diatribe about how long it's been since I've posted and how sorry I am for not doing so. We both know that I have two children, a crazy household, and no Internet connection at home. I'd much prefer to be typing an entry than silently composing it in my head while trying to beat insomnia into submission each night.
The yarden, this year, is well...there. There are tomatoes, but nothing too fabulous going on with them. They exist. They are slowly growing, blooming, and producing. However, we have yet to be able to pick a ripe tomato. Ardis chose a package of beautiful "green" beans- one that contained seeds for purple, white, and green beans. Those were superb producers- and have been completely consumed. I planted TONS of "surprise" winter squash, which, thankfully, have been thriving despite neglect. They are "surprise" squash  because it was a mixed pack, and we won't know what varieties are growing until they produce. Hopefully, there will be lots of butternut and spaghetti squash.The one thing that seems to be doing well are the cucumbers. Yes, I know--finally, cucumbers in our garden. The first two were a wonderful surprise and delicious. At least,  I was told they were delicious. Ardis ate one for breakfast and saved the other for her Nanny.
So, now, you might be wondering what I have been doing with my time if I haven't been making the garden grow. Well, aren't you? Besides trying to keep a 3-year-old and a 6-month-old alive and entertained, I've been making bread. Lots of bread. I've been making my usual sourdough bread from the starter that my mom gave me a couple of years ago. Since the starter grows a little each time to make bread- I now have 6 different starters in the fridge. A couple of those starters will be going to new homes soon.  Additionally, I've been trying out an artisan style bread recipe that involves baking in a cast iron dutch oven. I'll share the recipe soon. I've enjoyed this particular style of bread because it is simple and very versatile. I can add whatever herbs, spices, nuts, or cheeses I want. It also allows me to use my massive McCoy bowls that I got from my Aunt Pat. I feel a great sense of satisfaction when I get see the large cream bowls (with pink and turquoise stripes) sitting on the counter with a batch of bread rising inside. It is almost as good as the satisfaction of hearing Ardis's nagging "Is the bread ready yet?" or the way that Giddy will snatch a chunk of sourdough out of my hand.
With an luck, it won't be so long until the next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment