Saturday, March 17, 2012

Recipe #7: Blackbeard's Black Bean Chili

For Ardis's 3rd birthday, we decided we were finally ready to party. She chose a pirate theme (which I will admit, I loved!). I had far too much fun finding ideas for food and decorations and games. Unfortunately, the games were rained out. Thankfully, the food and decor seemed to be a hit. We made up the following recipe for black bean chili (a vegetarian alternative at the party). It makes a rather large amount- which can either be halved easily or frozen...or shared for that matter.

Blackbeard's Black Bean Chili

2 bags dried black beans (picked through for rocks and other misc. debris)
2 bell peppers (diced)
1 bag of frozen corn
2 cans of diced potatoes (because I was running out of time)
2 cans of diced tomatoes (because I'd forgotten to defrost frozen ones- I would've preferred them pureed as well)
homemade vegetable stock (I don't know for sure how much I used...likely it was around 60 ounces)

4 tablespoons of chili powder
2 tablespoons cumin
2 tablespoons paprika
1 tablespoon basil
2-3 cloves of garlic

1) Put beans in a large pot and cover with water - enough water to be 3-4 inches above the beans. Bring to a boil and allow to boil for 5 minutes. Turn off heat and allow to sit covered for an hour. Drain, rinse, return to pot. 2) Add stock. Bring to a boil then turn down to a simmer. Simmer for 20 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. 3) Add corn, bell pepper, tomatoes, potatoes, and spices. Bring to a slow boil. Cook until beans are tender (likely another 20 minutes or so). 4) enjoy!

1 comment: