We ended up with 2 cups worth of seeds from 3 sunflower heads.
We let the 2 cups of seeds soak in a brine of 1/4 cup salt in 2 quarts of water over night.
We drained the seeds, patted them dry, and, then, roasted them in a 350 degree oven for 30 minutes.
The sunflower seeds turned out well- though we did have to keep an eye out for roasted buggies.
This afternoon, while perusing the garden and walking to the mailbox, I noticed that the cucumber seeds we'd planted midsummer had actually produced one fairly healthy vine. When this vine grew, I do not know. After a good look over, I discovered one cucumber the size and shape of a golfball and a half dozen, inch long cucumbers hidden behind leaves. It was quite the discovery, considering how determined I was to have cucumbers this summer to no avail. However, I seem to be lucky enough to get to have cucumbers this fall.